Monday, September 16, 2013

ConsumerWatch: Walmart Phasing Out Some Harmful Chemicals « CBS San Francisco

ConsumerWatch: Walmart Phasing Out Some Harmful Chemicals « CBS San Francisco

If you know me well, you know I have it in for "Wally World" bad... and for a number of good reasons.  However, for today, I'm taking a bit of the sting out of my bite.  Why?

In a surprise announcement Thursday (Sept 12, 2013), Walmart is ordering their suppliers to slowly get rid (to completely abandon their use) of toxic chemicals in their lotions, potions and soaps... over the next 5 years.  This move follows one P&G (Proctor and Gamble) recently made to eliminate Triclosan and DEP.

Carcinogens, endocrine disruptors and even nervous system disintegrates are on Wally World's hit list.  This is also big because Walmart has openly stated they target mid to low income neighborhoods when planning where to expand/ build one of their stores.  So, the biggest and most immediate impact that this change will have is the middle class Americans.  I am one and I am excited.

This excites me because, I now know that it will trickle down to other retail stores.  The domino effect is certainly a reason to celebrate.  By 2016, Walmart plans to do a compliance survey to see how their suppliers are complying and publish it as a public report.  Its a start in the right direction, Walmart.  Definitely start in the right direction.

- Nadine Brown
Owner
Mrs. Brown's Bath Bakery
www.mrsbrownsbathbakery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment